Buying a drone for the first time? You should have a fair knowledge about the parts and the accessories required with the drone. This article primarily concentrates about Gimbal, by the end of the article, you will be pretty aware of what is this part all about, what it is used for, how does it function, which ones are available in the market and which one to buy!
- 1 WHAT IS A GIMBAL?
- 2 WHAT IS THE MECHANISM?
- 3 HOW DOES IT HELP?
- 4 TYPES OF GIMBALS
- 5 PROS –
- 6 CONS –
- 7 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS A GIMBAL?
It is a device that keep your copter in a horizontal position upright when it is moving, you can say it performs the same role as of a compass and a chronometer.
There are rings attached to it, that helps it to turn to various angles!
WHAT IS THE MECHANISM?
The basic working principle of the modern gimbal is similar to that of your smartphones or the video game controller. About three gimbals are mounted on one on the other having an orthogonal pivot axis.
Any object is mounted towards the inmost gimbal which remains free from the rotation of its support. In the case of a gimbal, the mechanical force is changed into an electronic signal which helps the computers to display information.
This is referred to as IMU (Inertial Measurement Units).
HOW DOES IT HELP?
Well, you can say that you are able to give various commands to your quad because of this mechanism. Based on your instructions, the drone turns left or right or moves in a direction.
It helps you in two ways-
1. Acts as a separate unit on which camera mounts
2. As a comprehensive unit with integrated camera
TYPES OF GIMBALS
- SERVO GIMBAL
- BRUSHLESS GIMBAL
Just plug-in and go!
Limitations – You now people have already complained about its amateur performance with unclear videos.
RECOMMENDED FOR– RC Planes & Quadcopters
- Better video quality
- Quick reactions
- Temperamental to balance
RECOMMENDED FOR – Drones for aerial photography
CHOOSING THE RIGHT GIMBAL
1. The first vital aspect is the type of the motor
2. Check the balance of gimbal, make sure the camera is well balanced on the axis
3. Check the quality of the material, avoid buying thin carbon, fiberglass or aluminum sheet
4. Be attentive to expandability
BEST DRONE GIMBALS AS PER THE POPULARITY-
- DJI New OSMO Gimbal (Check Current Price at Amazon)
- DJI PHANTOM 4 4K Gimbal Camera (Check Current Price at Amazon)
- DJI OSMO Fully Stabilized 4k 12 MP Camera Gimbal (Check Price at Amazon)
- Feiyu Tech FY Wearable Gimbal For Gopro Hero 3 (Check Price at Amazon)
- GVB 3-Axis Gimbal For GoPro Hero (Check Current Price Here)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
My Gimbal crashed and got damaged, Can I get it repaired?
Yes. You can get it repaired or even replaced with the help of technicians who specialize in repairing the drone gimbals. But always contact someone who has wide knowledge of this equipment.
What is the cost the Servo & Brushless Gimbal?
Well, it depends as different e-commerce websites have different prices. You need to check them out and choose the one that fits your budget estimate.
What are the Pros & Cons of 2 and 3 axis?
Same Operation as 3 axis
Stabilizes only on pitch and roll axis
Picture quality is not good as 3 axis
Offer better stability during photo-shoots
No shakiness or unwanted camera movements
Heavier than 2 axis hence draws more battery
Costlier than 2 axis