When you say that the DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter Drone is just an unmanned small flying machine with a good quality camera attached with it, you are basically correct. It has a number of features that can blow away anyone’s mind. Before getting to the detailed workings of the product, let us know about its specifications.
- 4k UHD video recording with fully stabilized 3-axis gimbal; Vision Positioning system allows stable flight indoors
- Lightbridge digital streaming allows live viewing of 720p video (full resolution video is simultaneously recorded on the internal microSD card)
- Included flight battery and rechargable remote controller means this system is ready to fly out of the box. Flying this product is restricted within 15 miles radius of the White House.
- Color: White
- Digital Zoom: 3x
- Flash memory type: Micro SD Card
- Body Dimensions: 8 by 13 by 18 inches
- Body Weight: 2 pounds
- Li Battery energy content: 1 WH ( watt hours)
- Li Battery Voltage: 2 V
- Li Battery Weight: 4 grams
- Maximum FL (focal length): 20
- Minimum FL (focal length): 20
- Sensor Technology (optical) : CMOS
- Optical Zoom: 1x
This new gadget of the Phantom series, the DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter Drone with 4K UHD Video Camera, proudly continues the legacy of DJI drones. It shows a number of innovations and creates a different visual experience with its UGD video camera. One can not only control the camera movements and see the video live, but also one can use the DJI Pilot app to share these videos.
Indoor flying is quite difficult, but with the DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter Drone, it’s a piece of cake. It has special integrated ultrasonic and optical sensors which they call Vision Positioning that enable it to fly indoors perfectly without any use of GPS signaling. Some regular features which can be expected from al Phantom series drones are GPS Navigation with auto landing and take-off, a high powered flight battery, built-in data base bearing information about the no fly zone, and most importantly, a mobile app.
The battery life is more than the previous ones with 15.2 volts acquiring a flight time of 23 minutes. With its high capacity charger of 100 Watt, it takes just 25-30minutes to charge the battery from nil to full.
The Phantom 3 released with two models hitting the market, Professional and Advanced. The main difference between these two is in its camera. The maximum resolution in the Professional is 4K/30fps and the Advanced can go up to 1080p/60fps.
Moreover, the camera uses DJI’s special Lightbridge technology that allows the user to see the live images from the camera, but the distance limit is 1 mile or 1.6 km. ISO, exposure, shutter speed and other such camera settings can be controlled from both the phone app and also the controlling unit.
The app provided also offers features like flight log and also a simulator, to enable users to practice without crashing the drone.
The 4K UHD Camera Features
The camera is placed on a stable 3-axis gimbal. The Lightbridge technology it uses allows receiving of the 720p HD live streaming at 30fps directly on to the smartphone app. For this purpose it uses an 8bit camera along with 20mm rectilinear lens which provides with a panoramic view. The 60fps max is the only drawback as slow-motion effects are not captured perfectly.
This drone is quite easy to move around indoors. The sensors on the underside of the camera are equipped with ultrasonic sensors that measure the distance from the ground. They also can scan the floor contours and can stabilize the drone. To a certain level, this enables it to be GPS independent. There is a significant boost in the processing power of the drone that allows faster navigation using GPS and faster delay from hardware lags.
Moreover, they are signed with the Russian Aerospace Defence Force and have the permission to use their GLONASS system which give them significant land coverage. The drone can fly up to a distance of 2km (around 1.24 miles) and also it has a built-in Return To Home (RTH) button to switch on an autopilot mode that will bring it back home. One small drawback is that it does not have any obstacle avoidance mechanism, so a user has to take care of the surroundings while using this.
The DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter Drone in a Nutshell
All the features processed by the drone are:
- Has Lightbridge technology of digital streaming which allows live viewing of UHD pictures and videos. Moreover, the main video is stored in a microSD card and can be retrieved earlier.
- The main package includes a battery and a rechargeable remote control.
- There is a Pilot app available for Android and iOS platforms. One can completely control the drone from this app.
- The 4k UHD camera allows high quality video recording on a 3-axis gimbal. The Vision Positioning system allows a stable indoor flying experience.
Note: this product can’t be flown within 15 miles of the White House.
In conclusion, it can be said that the DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter Drone is mainly meant for casual use. It is quite easy to fly and that allows the user to concentrate on the photography and filming aspects. If any person is looking for a high quality state of the art panoramic filming without having to undergo the strenuous learning process involved in flying a drone, this is one of the best solutions, and it is quite a reasonable and useful buy.